Monday, December 26, 2011

The Help

Whew! Survived Christmas and still somewhat sane! While exhausting in many ways, it was a great day of fun, family, and FOOD. Think I need to have a food detox for a week.
Finished the day and crawled into bed to watch a movie before falling asleep. My wife picked the movie “The Help”, which is a story about Mississippi and the race struggles taking place in the 60’s.
 I was raised in St. Louis, Mo. which is basically a southern town that was segregated for much of it’s history. I became aware of predjudice when I became good friends with a guy on the football team in high school. His name was Roland Reese and he was (and probably still is) one of the funniest and most personalble people I have ever met.
I had Roland over to the house several times, and quickly discovered that his presence in my all-white neighborhood was a concern to the citizens. Being somewhat rebellious in those days, I made sure that Roland came over often.
Watching the movie, I was saddened by our history while still being encouraged by how far we have progressed. I trust that the best is yet to come. Thanks for being my friend Roland. Just Say’n.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and comments with other readers.

A review of J T Twerell's Catch and Release by Featheredquill Book Reviews

Featheredquill Book Reviews

P.O. Box 304 Goshen, MA 01032 Fax: 413-268-0381 www.featheredquill.com info@featheredquill.com

Readers’ hearts will be beating hard as they join in this adventure where people come back from the dead, wear so many facades you’re not quite sure who’s on the good or bad side of the law, while experiencing the growing attraction between the lady ‘cop’ who could be lying through her teeth and the normally bored psychologist who stepped into the adventure of a lifetime.

The author, a practicing psychotherapist, certainly knows how to light a fire at the beginning of a tale and guide the reader through all types of personalities and red herrings that will make them very disappointed when the story has to come to an end.

Quill Says: This is one psychologist who has met his match when it comes to a truly astonishing female!

Facebook feedback - tell your friends