Saturday, May 14, 2011

Can you spare a dime

I was on the railroad the other night, heading home from Manhattan. Sitting in the station waiting for the passengers to load in, this man gets on the train and proclaims, "Excuse me, I am not a beggar, I simply lost my wallet and need $5 to buy a ticket home. Can anyone help out."
copyright cartoostock.com


Now that is a legitimate concern. However, I saw this same man do the same thing about six months ago. That night, the person next to me said they would be happy to give the conductor $5 for the ticket if the man wanted it. He suddenly decided that this was the wrong train and got off.


I guess this plan works for this guy, he seemed cleaned up and able to live life. But I mean, if after six months you are still using the same scam, I think maybe it would be a good idea to reevaluate  life and think about other alternatives. 
Then again; maybe he likes what he's doing and it gives him a lot of free time. It's his life not mine, so I guess I will stop trying to fix it. Just say'n.


Hey, we need more friends to join us! Well, we don't really need them, but we would sure like them. Click on "Follow this blog" or hit the Facebook or Twitter app. If you do then we will be able to take the train home. LOL. 
 Want a good deal? Just released "I Am Adam" in audio format and want you to have a free copy. Click here to get yours. Can't beat free! Just Say'n

4 comments:

  1. If you can spare it why not give it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if after 6 months he is still doing it, maybe he is on to something we all should look at seriously. Just sayen. LOL. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Toronto Canada for a few years in the mid-1970s. I always saw this guy out on a particular street begging for money. He was there every day; it was his job. I returned to Toronto in the mid-1990s and there he was: same guy, same street. Heck, he's been more dedicated to that job than I have ever been to any job in my entire life. Amazing. Of course, I like to think I've moved up the ladder and ended up with a better job. After twenty years, wouldn't you think he would have moved on to a better corner?

    I have read articles by journalists who have reported on this "urban underground" where people actually beg as their livelihood. Odd. Certainly different from what we think of as the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I worked in Manhattan, there was this homeless man who I used to talk to when I saw him. The office was in an upscale area of Manhattan and the man told me that it was the greatest place to be homeless. Money was better and the food people gave him was first class. I was there for three years and he was part of the neighborhood. I guess it is a science for the professional beggar. Seemed to work for him.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and comments with other readers.

A review of J T Twerell's Catch and Release by Featheredquill Book Reviews

Featheredquill Book Reviews

P.O. Box 304 Goshen, MA 01032 Fax: 413-268-0381 www.featheredquill.com info@featheredquill.com

Readers’ hearts will be beating hard as they join in this adventure where people come back from the dead, wear so many facades you’re not quite sure who’s on the good or bad side of the law, while experiencing the growing attraction between the lady ‘cop’ who could be lying through her teeth and the normally bored psychologist who stepped into the adventure of a lifetime.

The author, a practicing psychotherapist, certainly knows how to light a fire at the beginning of a tale and guide the reader through all types of personalities and red herrings that will make them very disappointed when the story has to come to an end.

Quill Says: This is one psychologist who has met his match when it comes to a truly astonishing female!

Facebook feedback - tell your friends